Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) is technology that allows a business to quickly and accurately identify individual products and components. It can be used to track them all the way through the supply chain from pre-production to point-of-sale – and beyond. RFID systems use radio waves to communicate between an RFID tag and a reader. The tag consists of a microchip attached to an antenna, and the reader can wirelessly read and write data from and to the tag.
RFID Systems for Inventory Control
Because an RFID tag is essentially a tiny microchip (albeit fitted with a small aerial) it can hold a range of data about the item to which is is attached. RFID tags can be encapsulated in plastic and fixed to a product or its packaging or embedded inside a container or delivery vehicle.
An RFID reader transmits and receives radio signals to and from the RFID tag. The information that is collected can be processed using dedicated computer software from a company such as Digitalquill. Readers can be placed at various positions in a factory or warehouse to record the movement of goods.
How does RFID help with Stock Management?
RFID tagging has many stock control benefits over barcodes:
- RFID tags can be read remotely at a distance of up to several metres
- A number of tags can be read at once, so an entire pallet-load of products can be checked simultaneously
- RFID tags have a unique identification code, that cannot be cloned, so individual products can be tracked effectively
RFID systems can be used:
- To maintain the right stock level of a product or component and enable Just in Time production
- To improve stock security. Tag-readers positioned at points of risk, such as the exit to the building, can be used to trigger alarms
- To improve quality control. They are particularly useful if you stock items with a limited shelf life as the date can be stored and associated with the tag.
The costs of RFID systems have fallen over recent years, and subscription models such as Software as a Service (SaaS) make RFID stock control solutions viable for most businesses, however small.
Digitalquill – Experts in bespoke business RFID Systems
Businesses and organisations all over the world use Digitalquill’s RFID systems to improve efficiency and effectiveness, and, most importantly, to save them money. We are experts in the provision of commercial RFID tags and RFID hardware. For more information on how RFID systems can help your business call us on 01482 424402 or email email@example.com.